Title IX in Savannah, GA
What exactly is Title IX? Title IX is a civil rights law that protects anyone in a federally funded education program from discrimination based on sex, age, or race. To break that down, this means that colleges, universities, and institutions are legally obligated to act on reports of sexual assault, harassment, and rape in a legally responsible manner. It also includes acts of prejudice due to age or race. If you feel like you have been a victim of one of these infractions while within the jurisdiction of a federally funded institution and you are unsatisfied with the responses from said institution – you may have a Title IX case. Call the offices of local Savannah attorney Joseph J. Steffen Jr. for a free consultation that will determine the strengths of your claims and help you take the next steps towards justice.
Common Precedents for TItle IX Cases
- Were you the victim of a sexual crime while on the property of a federally funded property?
- Did you report said crime to the institution in question?
- If so, has said institution failed to act according to the severity of the law in regards to your attacker?
Title IX law is one of the few laws that was made in specific regard to the goings on of a higher education institution that receives federal funding. The nature of sexual crimes often rely on the protection of such institutions to fail to react with the full harshness of the law in the event of the crime being reported. This law exists to ensure that higher education facilities are a safe space for students and employees and not a haven for sexual predators to conduct their criminal acts without consequences. If you feel that your higher education school has disregarded or ignored your claims of sexual harassment or assault – it is time to consult the experts.
Sexual Assault and Harassment Under Title IX
- In the case of harassment, have you notified or reported the incidents and named your attacker in more than one report? Did your reports result in any form of legal or disciplinary action?
- To what extent did the attack or incident take place at properties within the jurisdiction/ownership of the higher education institution in question?
- Is your attacker someone who is under the jurisdiction of the institution, whether as an employee, faculty member, or fellow student?
Answers to these questions will determine the strength of your Title IX case as it applies to the liability of your higher education school. If you can prove that the school’s response to your reports of the case are unreasonable in light of the facts, and that the incidents took place on properties that are under their authority, the chances are that a Title IX infraction has occurred. Savannah, GA is home to several higher education schools. The only way to know for sure is to consult with an attorney who specializes in this specific section of law. Joseph J. Steffen Jr. is your go-to Title IX lawyer in the Savannah, GA area.
Cases involving these issues ( Sexual Harrassment, Age, Gender and Race Discrimination for example often fall under the auspices of the EEOC and time lines for making such claims are often very short. Furthermore, many of them end up in Mediation. Joseph J Steffen Jr is an experienced mediator as well as a trial attorney and has a wealth of experience in these cases both from his years as a University Counsel as well as in private practice.
Contacting me is the first step to finding out if you have a case. Consultations are always free.